Barnett is no novice in making crossbows that you can take hunting with confidence, as the Droptine STR reviewed here shows. Packed with features and capable of sending arrows at speeds of up to 380 fps, the crossbow is capable of helping your deal with prey like deer and other similar game. Its downrange accuracy is guaranteed by the Carbonlite step-through riser that balances the weight for excellent control.
Its 155-pound draw weight is manageable by most hunters, and the 15.75-inch power stroke contributes to how convenient this crossbow is to handle. Multiple features such as the TriggerTech trigger and the frictionless release technology make it a bit quieter compared to other models in the same price range. Still, there are no dedicated noise dampening systems available, so don’t expect miracles.
It should also be mentioned that at 16 inches cocked, it is a pretty slim weapon that you can take with you on your hunting trips. Safety features like an anti-dry fire system are present on this model, and you can depend on it in any circumstances. Don’t forget that this model comes as part of a ready to shoot package, complete with a 4×32 multi-reticle scope, two arrows, and a side quiver. Compatible with crank-cocking systems, it comes with a rope cocking device.
Optics: 4×32 multi-reticle scope
Cocking device: Rope cocking device
Quiver: 3-arrow quiver
Arrows: Two 20-inch Headhunter arrows with field points
Noise dampening: Soft-Lok floating-bristle arrow retainer, TriggerTech trigger
Other: Lube wax
|Speed (Up To)
|Kinetic Energy (Up to)
|128 FP KE
|Length (w/o foot stirrup)
|Width Axle-to-Axle (uncocked/cocked)
|Weight (w/out accessories)
|8 lbs/6.9 lbs
- The Carbonlite step-through riser keeps the weight toward the center of the crossbow for balance.
- Its TriggerTech metal-injection-molded trigger guarantees convenient operation.
- The Soft-Lok floating-bristle arrow retainer limits friction and noise.
- The smooth 3-pound pull with zero creep helps you build confidence with each arrow shot.
- It comes equipped with nock sensors for maximum safety.
- The anti-dry fire mechanism ensures that you will not release an arrow by accident.
- The CNC machined aluminum flight track keeps the weight of the crossbow to a decent value.
- Its 7/8-inch Picatinny rail is excellent for mounting extra accessories.
- Holding a steady aim is easy, due to the pistol-grip stock and pass-through foregrip.
- You can count on this crossbow to take down big game in a humane manner since it has deep penetrating kinetic energy.
- Its construction is relatively lightweight, seeing the number of accessories you get to enjoy.
- The crossbow is safe to use, and even hunters of average height and body mass can handle it.
- It is part of a ready to shoot package, so you will be able to take it for a test run immediately.
- For the price, not many other crossbows can brag they can do as much.
- The scope it comes with is not illuminated, so it won’t do any good in low light conditions; you may want to invest in a different one.
- It doesn’t come with dedicated string dampeners to reduce noise and vibration.
Build Quality – Durability
Barnett is known to make good quality crossbows, and you can expect the Droptime to fall in line with the rest of the products offered by the brand. However, one cannot help but notice that a shorter warranty is provided with this model compared to many others, as it’s only 5 years when you can find similar crossbows sold with a 10-year warranty, or even lifetime limited warranty.
Nonetheless, the slim and compact construction, the CNC machined aluminum flight track, and many features will have you think that your crossbow will outlive its warranty without a problem.
Since it is capable of pulling only 16 inches in width when cocked, you can tell that it’s a slim option that will offer you excellent mobility. Without accessories, it weighs 6.9 pounds, so that makes it manageable for most hunters, as well. The TrueTimber Strata camo pattern gives it an aggressive look that you will surely like.
Speed and Performance
What can be said in favor of this crossbow is that its 380 fps speed is enough to take down any prey. Also, due to the high impact kinetic energy it develops, it is capable of doing so without putting the animal through unneeded suffering. You will notice some recoil, and you will also have to re-sight after each shot to prevent loss of performance.
It is evident that Barnett thought about equipping the Droptime for accuracy, too. One of the essential features that contribute to this aspect is the Carbonlite riser. It manages to shift the weight toward the center instead of the head, which will allow you to keep it steady. Its downrange accuracy wouldn’t be possible without it.
This crossbow comes along with both nock sensors and an anti-dry fire system. You will not be able to shoot until you place the arrow correctly, and there is no chance of releasing it by accident. Such aspects are paramount to your safety as a shooter and shouldn’t be amiss from any crossbow.
Noise and Vibration
From the get-go, you should know that there are no string dampeners or any other noise management systems installed on this model. That means that you will hear a sound when you release an arrow. However, some tangent features, like the Soft-Lok floating-bristle arrow retainer and the TriggerTech trigger, alleviate some of the noise produced.
Ease of Use and Assembly
There are no outstanding challenges involved when it comes to the use and assembly of this crossbow. The model comes with a good instruction manual, and following the steps described will help you put it together in no time. Also, since there’s a rope cocking device included, the crossbow is relatively easy to use.
Barnett Droptine STR Crossbow Package Review Summary
Barnett didn’t build the Droptime as some top of the line model. Still, for the price, it offers a plethora of features, and novices will have no issue with taking down prey in the most humane manner possible. The positive points outweigh the bad, and if you are a beginner, you will find it to be a good buy.